Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11 then and now

Just like so many others today who are blogging about today's events, I, too, feel it is time to share.

10 years ago.....September 11, 2001

I had just finished an early morning class at Illinois State University and headed back to my dorm room to find my room mate in complete silence watching the tv.  My stupid self asked, "What are you watching?"  There was no answer and I put down my bag and searched the tv for answers.  "What the hell is going on?!"  I realized the events that were occurring right before my eyes.  I know I instantly felt my stomach flip and worry set in.  What does this mean?  Who is next?  What is going to happen to all the people?  My family, just a couple hours away felt sooo much further away.  I called home, I called Cody, any one who I felt I needed to speak to, I did. 

Then, I quickly realized I had to call my good friend who was to be leaving the next day to see her boyfriend graduate from boot camp in California.  As soon as she picked up the phone, I informed her that she would not be going to California and that she needed to turn on her television.  After sitting there for a bit, I went to my friend's room and consoled her as she cried as we both did not know what this meant for her boyfriend, as well as so many others.  

The day went by with a blur as I worried about my family and  what my future would or would not hold. 

__________________________________________________________________________________

Today....September 11, 2011

Yesterday was filled with love, laughs, and celebrating.  Wow, who would have thought I would be a mother as well as to think that I could have a child/children born on September 11.  Kinsley and Eligh were supposed to be born on the 11th; it was scheduled without my knowledge.  But, as the pregnancy chugged along my doctor informed me of my c-section date; September 11, 2008.   Nope, no way.  I was not going to have the twins delivered on September 11; no way.  I did not want a celebration of birth and life to be shared with this tragic day; it just felt horribly wrong.  How could we celebrate on a day that thousands are mourning and remembering their losses?  

The magnitude of this event now holds an even deeper meaning especially with three year plus long deployments under us.  Cody and I both knew what was to be expected with his enlistment, but to think we are still at "war" is something neither one of us would have expected.
 
I hope that as time continues we as a country can find peace.   
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I don't think any of us will ever forget. It will haunt us forever.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just read, say something! Sorry, I had to add the word verification - I am being spammed.