Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Truthful Tuesday - Twins (without the post-its)


Just as I don't know where I fit with infertility and parenting, I also don't feel I fit the mold of multiples either.  I have twins, but they are nothing like all of the stories of twins.

At the ripe age of 2 1/2 years old, my twins do not even know they are twins or what the term "twins" even entails, nor does their big sister know that her brother and sister are twins, just simply the babies:  Eligh, and Kinsley.

I wish I had some fun stories to share of "twinism," but I don't.  For those that have those little stories to share, I am jealous.  Why do I care you may ask?  I guess it is just another reminder that I am misplaced in so many parts of the "norm."

The girls seem to be so much closer than the twins and tend to have a "monkey see monkey do" philosophy.

Kinsley adores her big sister and wants to be just like her.  She repeats nearly everything Addy speaks with the constant, "Me too" or "That's my favorite, too!"


"I want to be a princess."  "ME TOO!"


When you think of the "term" twins what comes to mind?  

I had big ideas of what "twins" would mean and believed very strongly that it was Addy who would feel left out, but I have been so wrong.  No one is left out, and more times than not I feel I have a set of triplets running around sharing and experience their lives as one.



3 comments:

  1. Bah! Who needs the "norm" anyway! We are far more interesting than the norm!!! Emily is starting to parrot Lizzie as well and I feel like the dynamic is always changing. Sometimes Lizzie and Alex play, sometimes Emily and Alex and some times Lizzie and Emily are really close. I think it changes minute by minute! Even though I call them the twins (cause I'm lazy) I don't really think of them as twins either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's different with b/g twins too though. When people talk about how closely bonded their twins are, I just don't see it with mine. It's not that they don't like each other, but it's not as intense as people write about...ya know?

    I think of it this way, rather than treating them like twins, I've always treated them like siblings...after all, they were two different embryos that could have been born in two different years...it just so happens that they were born on the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the pictures! Allison does the same thing to Lauren. Whatever Lauren likes or wants, Allison wants too. Sometimes Lauren likes it, and sometimes she gets annoyed with Allison copying her.
    I don't really have any idea about what twins are "supposed" to be, or how they are "supposed" to act. I wonder if your girls are closer because their ages are so close?
    And, don't feel bad about not "fitting in". As they say, "variety is the spice of life".
    (wow- I don't think I've ever used this many quotation marks at once!)

    ReplyDelete

Don't just read, say something! Sorry, I had to add the word verification - I am being spammed.