Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

Today, Cody had the honor of participating as the Color Guard for a Memorial Day service for the veterans here, at FLW.  It was an absolutely beautiful day with temperatures nearing 90, with strong winds that cooled you off at the right time.

The service was humbling as I listened to the speakers share their memories of fallen soldiers whether related through blood or related through honor and courage.



The moment that tugged at me even more than listening to the gun shots sound the open air, was overhearing a wife talking to a distant friend about the loss of her husband and say the following, "He will have been gone ten years this year.  Oh, I still miss him so very much."  These words are a reminder of what today is really about.  Honoring those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for all of us.  For those who have lost a veteran I hope they are surrounded with love and strength each and every day.  

Above all, I am so extremely grateful and humble to have this:

3 comments:

  1. Thank you to Cody (and your entire family) for the sacrifices you make for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a humbling experience. I'm glad you got to spend this holiday as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true...I'm glad you have that too and I thank Cody and your family for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just read, say something! Sorry, I had to add the word verification - I am being spammed.