Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sticking my guns - yard sale

Yesterday I had a yard sale and had two of my friends participate as well and even asked my neighbors in my cul de sac.  I was the first one up at 5:30 a.m. setting up and organizing all the tables.  My one neighbor/friend was out at 6 a.m. lugging stuff out while I started organizing her items as well.  The other friend didn't arrive until 15 minutes after the yard sale was to start.  The other neighbors in the cul de sac, probably didn't set up until official start time as well.  I like punctuality, obviously many do not. 

Because I'm smart and think ahead, I planned this yard sale the same day the base was having a massive yard sale at one of the theaters.  I knew, though, that I would have more than one table of items to be sold, so I stuck to having my own.  It paid off!

One of the streets to get to my house is near the main entrance to the post, so my sign was seen by many as they drove to the post yard sale and it brought in a lot of traffic. 

I have done a few yard sales and understand how to bargain and when to stick to my guns. 

Example 1:  Cody had one of those tool sets with a hand saw, flash light, drill, and two other tools.  He has used maybe two things from it a total of three times in the past six years.  I marked it at $25.  Every guy that came to the yard sale (which did you know that tons of men, especially elder men, go yard sale shopping) tried bargaining with me in the first hour.  I just knew, though, that someone would take it as it is, and sure enough.  A pregnant woman called her husband and it was sold a few minutes after the first hour of opening.  

Example 2:  I had a Buzz Lightyear tricycle that was used last summer and kept in the shed unless it was ridden.  It was in good condition.  Brand new the thing costs about $40, I marked at $15.  A little boy jumped on it and start whizzing around the parking lot with it.  His mom asked me to go down to $10, and I explained how much it originally cost and how little it was used and told her I would go to $10 after noon if it was still there.  She turned around saw her son happily pedaling, and bought it for the $15.  

Example 3:  A lady wanted to buy a Barbie horse and carriage but wanted to get it for $2 less.  It was $5 total for both pieces.  Her daughter was holding the toys and jumping up and down with excitement.  I told her that $3 was far too less.  She told her daughter they would keep looking for something else.  She walked across to another neighbor's house, came back and said she would take them both for $4.  Deal. 

Having a yard sale can be a lot of work, mostly getting everything together and pricing it, actually working the yard sale is enjoyable.  You get to make small talk with others, enjoy some time away from your own kids, and of course make some money; nearly $300 for me. 

1 comment:

  1. I always think I want to have a yard sale, but I'm always so lazy about the work. I end up donating almost everything, although I do like to consign.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just read, say something! Sorry, I had to add the word verification - I am being spammed.