Monday, April 30, 2012

Career guilt

Why do I feel guilty when people ask me if I plan on working or looking for a job, especially when one school year is ending and another year is approaching?  But, I 100% always do! 

When someone, who is working, especially in the same field, asks me if I'm going to apply for a job I tell them I do not know.  But, soon after the conversation has ended, what do I find myself doing?  Oh, searching for a job. What the frick is wrong with me? Why should I feel guilty that I am NOT working?  Yes, I have a degree, experience, and am nearing the completion of my masters degree, but I am not 100% certain what I want to do with it all or even when.  What is so wrong with staying home with my three little ones the past two years?  I wouldn't have seen this life change, but it happened and I have really enjoyed it.  Even the simple routine of taking Addy to and from Pre-K, laundry, snuggles, naps, games, playgrounds, walks, crafts, stories, etc.  I feel blessed that I have been able to enjoy this time home with my children and I do NOT care that I could be doing more with my life, because to me, having these three amazing, beautiful, full of laughter children is worth more than any money in my pocket.  I should NOT feel guilty for my break in teaching, nor will I wonder what more money could do for us, because we are happy just the way we are and that to me is payment enough. 

4 comments:

  1. I think the most important thing to remember is that we all do what is right for ourselves and our families. As long as we are doing that, that is all that really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We are happy just the way we are and that to me is payment enough."

    That's all that matters, Carrie.

    (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're 100% right that you shouldn't feel guilt. That said, if you figure out a way to NOT feel guilt either way, please share.

    I am already dreading the fact that I really have to go to a conference for two to four days in September. I've never left babies that little before...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you should feel guilty at all. There is a time for everything and right now, this is your time for playgrounds and walks and crafts and that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just read, say something! Sorry, I had to add the word verification - I am being spammed.