Sunday, February 10, 2013

Trust yourself

Addyson started the school year scared to leave home and venture out on her own.  But, after getting her feet settled into a routine she really started to enjoy school.  With that said, she was always ready to come home for the day.  Kinder is a long, full day.

Last week out of no where, Addyson was fighting me to even get out of bed to go to school.  She was crying her eyes out begging to stay home.  I tried giving her more time to get ready, asked her various questions trying to determine why the change of attitude, and nothing was getting to the bottom of the problem.  Finally, after tossing around the idea for the entire week, I decided to email her teacher to see if she had any idea why the sudden change in her attitude.

The teacher assured me she was behaving great in school and saw no problems what so ever.  I put the whole idea away and less than 24 hours from the first email, the teacher emailed back explaining that she remembers Addyson voicing concerns about the two boys at her table.  The teacher said she had talked to the boys and assumed it was all taken care of.  The teacher wanted me to ask Addyson if she wanted to move seat before arriving at school the next day.  As soon as I asked Addyson about moving seats and the little boys at her table, a light bulb went off.  She explained that the two boys kept touching and taking her belongings from her and she had told the teacher, but it had not gotten better.  I do not blame any one, especially knowing the teacher has drilled into the students' heads not to tattle and I am sure that Addyson wanted to tell the teacher that things had not improved, but feared getting in trouble for "tattling."

The teacher let Addyson choose her new seat and she has been sitting there for a week and thankfully her crying and begging to stay home has ended and made getting up for school and out the door much easier.

A lesson to myself - "Trust my gut."

1 comment:

  1. Poor A. I'm so glad that things worked themselves out for her and she wants to go to school now.

    Can I just say that something like this happening is a huge fear of mine? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just read, say something! Sorry, I had to add the word verification - I am being spammed.